The Waterfall at Dubai Mall is a unique and mesmerizing water feature located in the heart of the world’s largest shopping mall. It is a dramatic two-story waterfall that cascades down two cylindrical structures, each adorned with life-size statues of human divers. The divers represent Dubai’s pearl diving heritage, which was once the main source of livelihood for the city’s residents.
The Waterfall is a popular tourist destination and a great place to relax and take a break from shopping. It is also a popular spot for photo opportunities, as the waterfall provides a stunning backdrop for pictures.
In this blog, we will discuss more about this tourist attraction including it history, features, some tips when visiting.
History of the Waterfall in Dubai Mall
The Waterfall at Dubai Mall, one of the landmarks in Dubai, was built in 2004 as a way to celebrate the city’s pearl diving history and to provide a refreshing oasis in the middle of the desert. The waterfall was designed by Singapore-based architectural firm DP Architects, who were also responsible for the design of the Dubai Mall itself.
The waterfall is located in the Grand Atrium of the Dubai Mall, and it is made up of a 24-meter tall cascade of water that is dotted with sculptures of pearl divers. The sculptures are made of fiberglass and are designed to create a sense of movement and dynamism. The falling water is also designed to create a visual illusion, making it seem that the divers are moving instead of the water.
The waterfall was completed in 2008 and was officially opened to the public on November 4th of that year. It has since become one of the most popular tourist attractions in Dubai, and it is often used as a backdrop for weddings and other special events.
The waterfall was inspired by the traditional falaj irrigation systems of the UAE. Falaj systems are ancient water channels that were used to transport water from underground aquifers to agricultural areas. The waterfall is designed to resemble a falaj system, with the water cascading down from the top of the atrium and into a pool at the bottom.
This design not only pays tribute to Dubai’s history, but it also helps to cool the air in the atrium and provides a refreshing oasis for visitors.
Features of the Waterfall in Dubai Mall
The Waterfall at Dubai Mall is a truly impressive feat of engineering. It is 24 meters tall and has a circular shape; its diameter is over 30 meters. The falling water is powered by a pump that can move over 1,000 cubic meters of water per hour. This means that the waterfall can empty an Olympic-sized swimming pool in just over an hour!
The waterfall is also lit up by over 2,000 LED lights, which create a variety of colorful effects. The lights can be programmed to change color in sync with music, creating a truly mesmerizing spectacle.
In addition to its technical features, the waterfall also has a number of interactive elements. There are over 100 fiberglass sculptures of pearl divers that are dotted throughout the waterfall. These sculptures are made to look like they are diving underwater, and they create a sense of movement and dynamism.
There are also a number of mist machines located near the waterfall. These machines create a fine mist that helps to cool the air in the atrium and provides a refreshing oasis for visitors.
The waterfall is a truly unique and awe-inspiring sight. It is a must-see for any visitor to Dubai.
Here are some of the interactive elements of the Waterfall:
- The diving figures: The over 100 fiberglass sculptures of pearl divers are made to look like they are diving underwater. Visitors can interact with these sculptures by touching them or posing for photos in front of them.
- The mist machines: The mist machines located near the waterfall create a fine mist that helps to cool the air in the atrium and provides a refreshing oasis for visitors. Visitors can walk through the mist or even sit down in it to cool off.
- The LED lights: The over 2,000 LED lights that illuminate the waterfall can be programmed to change color in sync with music. This creates a truly mesmerizing spectacle that visitors can enjoy.
Tips when visiting the Waterfall at Dubai Mall
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your visit to the Waterfall in Dubai Mall:
- Visit during the cooler hours of the day. The waterfall is located in a large, enclosed space, so it can get quite warm inside. If you want to avoid the heat, try to visit during the morning or evening.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You will be doing a lot of walking around the mall, so make sure you wear comfortable shoes. You may also want to bring an umbrella or raincoat in case it rains.
- Bring your camera. The waterfall is a very photogenic spot, so make sure you bring your camera. You can get some great shots from the ground level, or you can go up to the second or third floor for a bird’s eye view.
- Interact with the sculptures. The waterfall is not just a static object. There are many interactive elements that you can enjoy. Touch the diving figures, walk through the mist machines, or even sit down in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall.
- Enjoy the music. The waterfall is lit up by over 2,000 LED lights, which can be programmed to change color in sync with music. This creates a truly mesmerizing spectacle that you can enjoy.
Here are some additional tips:
- The waterfall is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but the best time to visit is during the day, when the light is good and the crowds are smaller.
- If you are visiting during the summer, it can get quite hot inside the mall. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing and bring an umbrella or raincoat in case it rains.
- The waterfall is located on the ground floor of the Dubai Mall, near the entrance to the Fashion Avenue.
- There is no admission fee to visit the waterfall. Plus there are other fun activities to do in the Dubai Mall.
- The waterfall is a popular spot for photo shoots, so be prepared to share the space with other people.
The Waterfall at Dubai Mall is a truly mesmerizing experience. It is a sight to behold, with its cascading water and diving figures depicting Dubai’s pearl fishermen. The waterfall is surrounded by palm trees, creating a soothing atmosphere that is perfect for a refreshing break from the hustle and bustle of the mall. It is also a great place to meet up with friends and family. It is a popular spot for photo opportunities, and there is plenty of space to relax and enjoy the scenery.
If you are looking for a unique and memorable experience in Dubai, be sure to check out the Waterfall at Dubai Mall. It is a truly one-of-a-kind attraction that you will not soon forget.