Travelling internationally is an exciting experience, especially if you are a resident of the UAE. The most important part of international travel is ensuring that you have all the required documents in order to enter your travel destination country.
Here is a comprehensive guide to the documents required for international travel from the UAE:
- The most important document you will need for international travel is a valid passport.
- Your passport must be valid for at least six months or more, at the time of your intended stay in the country you are visiting. This means that if you have a passport that’s likely to expire within 6 months of your planned trip dates, you may be unlikely to acquire a visa for the country you intend to visit.
- It is important to apply for a passport or passport renewal well in advance of your trip to allow time for processing and any necessary corrections that can arise in the process.
- Depending on your destination country, you may require a visa to enter.
- A visa is an official document that allows you to enter a foreign country you wish to visit, for a specified period of time.
- The requirements for obtaining a visa can vary widely depending on the country you are visiting, so it is important to research the requirements and apply for your visa well in advance of your trip.
- Being a UAE resident you can travel to a large number of countries with ease, thanks to the UAE and the country’s global connectivity.
- The exact number of countries you can travel to without a visa or with a visa-on-arrival will depend on your passport, your purpose of travel, and the destination country’s specific requirements.
Visa-free travel: UAE residents who possess a UAE passport (Otherwise known as Emiratis) can enjoy visa-free travel to several countries, including Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Seychelles, Georgia, and Maldives, among others.
Visa-on-arrival: For many countries, UAE residents can get a visa-on-arrival option availed upon arrival at the destination airport or land border. This means that, for these countries, you do not need to apply for a visa in advance before you start your trip as you can obtain one upon your arrival. Examples of such countries include Turkey, Indonesia, and Kenya, among others.
E-visa: Many countries offer an e-visa option, which allows you to apply for a visa online and receive it electronically before your trip.
Examples of such countries include India, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam, among others.
Visa application: For some countries, you may need to apply for a visa in advance at the embassy or consulate of that country in the UAE.
Examples of such countries include the U.K., Canada, and the United States of America, etc.
Any UAE-passport holder can travel to 168 countries, of which 115 destinations offer visa-free travel and 53 offer eVisa or visa on arrival at the airport.
3. Travel insurance
- Travel insurance is highly recommended to purchase if you are travelling for any international travel from the UAE.
- The various benefits offered by travel insurance can protect you in the event of cancelled flights, lost luggage, or medical emergencies while you are travelling abroad.
- Be sure to research the options available to you and choose a plan that meets your specific needs.
- Most travel insurance policies provide you with the required benefits that safeguard you from unseen circumstances and events like trip cancellations, emergency medical expenses, etc.
4. Return or onward ticket
- Many countries require visitors to show proof of onward travel before they will be allowed to enter.
- This means that you must have a return ticket or another ticket that shows you will be leaving the country before your visa or entry permit expires.
- This could be a requirement by the destination country as they want to ensure that you have made the necessary requirements to fly back home.
5. Travel itinerary
- It is important to have a detailed travel itinerary that includes your flight and accommodation details, as well as any planned activities or excursions you may have on the trip.
- This information can be used by airport security and customs to verify your travel plans and ensure that you are not posing any security risk to the destination country.
6. Health documents
- Some countries require travellers to provide proof of certain vaccinations or medical tests before they will be allowed to enter.
Example: Some countries may require you to show your COVID-19 Vaccination certificate for proof of Vaccination.
- It is important to research the health requirements for your destination country and obtain any necessary vaccinations or medical documentation well in advance of your trip.
7. Proof of accommodation
- Many countries require travelers to provide proof of accommodation for their stay.
- This can include a hotel reservation email, document or a letter of invitation from a friend or family member who will be hosting you in the destination country.
8. Cash or credit cards
- It is important to have enough cash or utilize an international credit card to cover your expenses while you are abroad.
- You can also invest in a Forex International Card that can be cheaper overall as it’s a prepaid card that can be used with a wide variety of currencies.
- It is recommended to carry both cash and credit cards for flexibility, but be sure to research the currency and exchange rates for your destination country to avoid any surprises.
In conclusion, travelling internationally from the UAE requires careful planning and preparation. This includes obtaining the necessary documents (like Visa) and information well in advance of your trip.
Its also best practice to have physical copies of your visa, trip itinerary, hotel booking, etc handy for quick and easy checks at immigration counters at airports and for security.
As a top-tier insurance platform, I highly recommend that you research the requirements for your destination country, ensure that you have all the necessary documents and information to make your trip a memorable one. Also, you must acquire the right travel insurance that meets or exceeds your requirements.