Are you still dreaming about cruising in a vintage convertible on an open road? Feel the wind in your hair and the sun on your face? The sleek lines, the vibrant colors, and the timeless style of classic cars transport you to a different era, where the journey was just as important as the destination. Well, dream no more! Welcome to the UAE!
UAE is a haven for car enthusiasts. All makes, models, and ages of vehicles are welcome here. Hence, car insurance has always been simple because many companies provide a wide range of options for any car owner. But how about owning a classic car? Will the process be the same?
If you own a classic or vintage car in the UAE, it is essential to be properly insured to protect your investment. While standard car insurance policies may cover your classic car, they may only partially protect its true value. But before we insure your classic car, let us go through the classes of classic cars allowed to be driven in UAE.
Classic cars can be classified into six categories.
- Category A – cars can drive on all roads and streets but cannot exceed 10,000 kilometers per year.
- Category B – cars are the same as Category A, except they cannot be driven more than 5,000 kilometers yearly.
- Category C – cars are prohibited from driving on Dubai’s public roads.
- Category D – cars are allowed to travel only during daylight hours.
- Category E – can only be used on internal and service roads.
- Category F – cars that are only for display purposes.
Choose the Right Insurance Company
If you own a vintage car, you may need to find a specialized insurance company to insure it. These companies can advise you on what coverage and optional covers you can add to the policy.
Insurance companies require an underwriter assessment before sharing a proposal for vintage or classic cars, unlike regular or modern cars, wherein you can get a quote online in seconds.
Check the requirements from RTA
It’s necessary to check with the traffic police, Road and Traffic Authorities (RTA) the guidelines on registering and insuring the vehicle. Classic and vintage car owners can obtain a unique license plate to set their vehicles apart from all others on the road.
If you are in Abu Dhabi, they have different rules for registering a classic car.
Classic cars in Abu Dhabi are divided into two categories:
- Drivable classic cars can be registered for one year for AED 400. The renewal fee is AED 350.
- Exhibition classic cars must be insured and must pass a technical test. They can be registered for three years for AED 1100. The renewal fee is AED 1050. Exhibition classic cars must be transported in a truck and should never be driven on the roads.
In Dubai, based on the Road and Transport Authority, classic cars must meet specific safety standards to be registered. These standards include:
- The car must be at least 30 years old.
- The tires must be in good condition.
- The body of the car must be in good condition.
- The brakes and lights must be in good working order.
- The car engine must function properly and efficiently, without any sign of leakage of fuel or lubricant, or coolant water from the bottom or sides of the engine.
Choose the proper coverage
A third-party liability policy is the most common type of insurance for classic or vintage cars here in the UAE. Third-party insurance does not cover any damage to your vehicle, but it may have additional coverages, such as roadside assistance and personal accident, that benefit both driver and passengers.In conclusion, insurance for classic cars can be more complicated than insurance for regular cars. Proper maintenance will help you prevent making claims, increase the value of your vehicle, and ensure that you can enjoy it for years to come.