With the introduction of the internet and digital services, choosing and buying health insurance online has never been easier! Don’t worry, you don’t need to be a super-surfer or online aficionado to find a policy to suit you, so don’t be put off by the process. With a bit of time, patience and know-how, you can manage to find what you’re looking for in a matter of minutes so read on and discover how buying online can be a doddle rather than daunting!
Starter for Ten
There’s a true saying you may have heard before, “Fail to prepare and prepare to fail”. And that applies to anything you do online too. Just because your purchase isn’t in person, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat it any less seriously. Create a plan of action for your online health insurance purchase the same as you would for an in-person one and you’ll reap the benefits.
- Understand your insurance needs: Take time to consider your health and medical needs before diving into the research process. Decide what type of plan best fits your needs, taking into account any existing or potential health conditions.
- Compare different plans: Don’t be swayed by the first provider and plan you come across. Do your research and compare different plans from different providers to make sure you’re getting the best coverage and premiums. It’s easy to stick to those household names but those that are lesser known don’t offer lesser products necessarily. It’s all about the overall offering so research both the product and the provider. Use search engines to look for review sites and read what other consumers have to say about their experiences. Look at the overall picture from product to price, customer service to claims service. Take a holistic approach rather than looking at one individual aspect. Too many people look at price only and buy the cheapest product, failing to recognise the overall proposition, only to regret it when they have a claim or are on the receiving end of poor service.
- Don’t be afraid to enter information and buy online: Shopping for health insurance online can be a great way to save time and money. With mainstream providers and online comparison sites offering quotes from multiple insurance companies, you’re spoilt for choice! However, some people are afraid to enter their personal information or credit card details for fear of security breaches, information farming, etc. Don’t worry. Most reputable sites fully comply with regulations in relation to data protection but if you’re in any doubt, explore the website thoroughly for details of the company’s data protection policy, SSL certificate and bit encryption. These specifically deal with the protection of client personal information and data, including financial details, so you can rest assured that they’ll look after yours.
- Look for discounts: Many providers offer discounts if you purchase health insurance online or have more than one policy through the same provider. Be sure to ask about any applicable discounts when you are getting quotes. Getting fixed amounts, percentages or vouchers against other products can help your overall insurance picture and ensure you can afford all the protections you need.
- Read the fine print: Don’t be in a rush when it comes to purchasing health insurance online. Take your time to read the policy in detail and make sure you understand all of the coverage, exclusions, and details of the plan.
- Ask questions: Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the policy and how it works. If you don’t understand something, contact the provider for clarification.
- Check ratings and reviews: In addition to comparing plans from different providers, be sure to check third-party ratings and reviews to get an idea of how customers view the provider.
- Consider getting help: If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the process, you may want to consider getting professional help. An insurance agent can provide helpful advice and find the right policy for your needs.
- Check the network: Be sure to check the network associated with your online health insurance plan. Knowing which doctors and facilities are in-network can make it easier to access the care that you need.
- Stay up-to-date: Insurance policies tend to change over time, so make sure to keep up-to-date with any changes that might affect your coverage.
Health insurance is always an important purchase but that doesn’t mean it needs to be complicated. Online health insurance options are varied, plentiful, and above all, simple to use.
Like your approach to any important purchase, you should consider your needs and your budget. Think about what are the deal-makers and deal-breakers so when it comes to reviewing your options, you’ll be able to de-select and select with clarity.
Above all, don’t be scared to click for your cover! Buying health insurance online means you can get that all-important cover in minutes! But like all things, if in doubt, back out: don’t commit until you have validated what’s on the screen with a human. Most online health insurance providers offer the benefit of a customer service team that can talk you through any concerns. And if you need to do that don’t consider it a defeat – you’ll have still saved time on the initial process which is a saving in itself!